Burning Your Boats
(Collected Short Stories)
by Angela Carter
This collection brings together majority of Carter's short fiction, and
all of it shines with her unique genius. It contains the following:
Early Work, 1962-6
- The Man Who Loved a Double Bass
- A man's doting relationship with his double bass leads to a poignant double tragedy.
- A Very, Very Great Lady and Her Son at Home
- A mother tells her son the story of her life, and with it, reveals a secret that proves her downfall and sets him free.
- A Victorian Fable (with Glossary)
- A tale told entirely in Victorian slang; a drunken man beats up a woman in the street and then runs off to a whorehouse.
Fireworks: Nine Profane Pieces, 1974
- A Souvenir of Japan
- A lucid vision of Japan through the eyes of a woman in an ever
- The Executioner's Beautiful Daughter
- In a degenerate tribe where incest is a capital offence, an executioner
is called upon to kill his only son, for a crime his executioner's mask
allows him to commit with impunity.
- The Loves of Lady Purple
- The tale of a sensuous lifesize female puppet who tours the world,
holding everyone in a rapture, and how her desire for life will overcome
even the one who loves her most.
- The Smile of Winter
- A woman's epiphany on a beach in winter.
- Penetrating to the Heart of the Forest
- A brother and sister grow up in a veritable paradise, yet always the
mystery of the forest goads them into its depths, and towards the mysterious
forbidden tree at its centre; with its ripe mysterious fruit.
- Flesh and the Mirror
- A woman searches for a lost love through the complex streets of Tokyo,
and in the mirror covered bedrooms of the pleasure quarters, determined to
either find him or recreate him in the act of searching.
- Sold to a vicious hunter, a village girl is drawn into his world of
desolation and cruelty as he takes her on a hunting trip into the forest;
but all the while she is undergoing a mental and physical transformation
which threatens to tip the balance.
- A man who by the discovery of a shell stumbles onto the nexus of the
world of the mirror and our own, where a strange figure knits reality
together, and by his actions brings about a great catastrophe.
- Elegy for a Freelance
- A woman remembers a claustraphobic moment of her life, living in a room
with a group of anarchists and her assassin boyfriend, waiting for the moment
when he is to carry out the assassination; but even the best laid plans can
suffer complications, and doubt and greed get in the way of this one.
The Bloody Chamber and Other Stories, 1979
- The Bloody Chamber
- A girl newly married to a mysterious Marquis is left with the keys to
their mansion, yet one small room is forbidden to her, and she is naturally
drawn to it. Within the room she finds the Marquis' dark secret and a hint at
the fate in store for her.
- The Courtship of Mr Lyon
- A car breaks down leaving a man stranded, he finds shelter in a mansion
where he is offered a great hospitality in the home of the Beast, though upon
leaving steals an insignificant thing for his daughter Beauty. There is of
course a price, but as ever, Beauty offers the Beast the ultimate
- The Tiger's Bride
- A father loses his daughter in a game of cards to the Beast. The Beast
offers her freedom for a glimpse of her, but to his shame she repeatedly
refuses. After a time a compromise is reached and through it the woman finds
both her freedom and her true nature.
- A loyal cat finds his philandering master has finally fallen in love, and
it is up to him to bring the relationship to consumation. Fortunately the cat
is a crafty creature and comes up with several schemes to make things come to
pass, finding contentment of his own along the way.
- The Erl-King
- A young girl finds a mysterious figure whose realm is that of the forests
and whose treasures are found solely in the shapes of nature, he is the spirit
of the place, though at his hands she would be transformed and it is
something she can not allow.
- The Snow Child
- On a horseride a count wishes for a girl and so she appears, though his
wife, a jealous woman, would see her undone. So the girl returns to the snow
and the count finds his empty satisfaction.
- The Lady of the House of Love
- A lonely vampiress resides in a great castle, filled with a great longing
for fresh meat, one regularly forfilled. Then a young soldier enters her
life and she begins a short lived cycle of seduction that ends differently
to how she planned it.
- The Werewolf
- A visit to grandmother takes a unique turn when a girl meets a wolf in
- The Company of Wolves
Black Venus, 1985
- Black Venus
- The Kiss
- Our Lady of the Massacre
- The Cabinet of Edgar Allen Poe
- Overture and Incidental Music for A Midsummer Night's Dream
- Peter and the Wolf
- The Kitchen Child
- The Fall River Axe Murders
American Ghosts & Old World Wonders, 1993
- Lizzie's Tiger
- John Ford's 'Tis Pity She's a Whore
- Gun for the Devil
- The Merchant of Shadows
- The Ghost Ships
- In Pantoland
- Ashputtle or The Mother's Ghost
- Alice in Prague or The Curious Room
- Impressions: The Wrightsman Magdalene
Uncollected Stories, 1970-81
- The Scarlet House
- A woman, captured and imprisoned in the Scarlet House by a master of
Chaos, finds herself threatened by a multitude of invented memories.
- The Snow Pavilion
- The Quilt Maker
- UK H/B - Chatto & Windus 1995
- UK P/B - Vintage 1996, 0-09-959291-6
Appendix: Uncollected Fiction by Angela Carter
Burning Your Boats features most of Angela Carter's short fiction though
I have discovered there is at least one uncollected work, if you know of
any others then please contact me.
Lands of Never - Maxim Jakubowski (ed.)
- UK P/B - Unwin 1983, 0-04-823239-4
- The Bridegroom
created and maintained by ian davey.
Homepage | Links | What's New